Friday, February 12, 2010

How does the period last on birth control?

I'm 3 days away from my 7 placebo pills, and I know I'm supposed to have my period while I'm on those.





I was wondering if the period usually starts the first day of the placebo pills, or later? And does it last all 7 days? That seems like a long time...How does the period last on birth control?
You will usually get your period on day 3 or 4 of your placebos - but maybe as early as day 2.





Your period will usually run about 2/3 as long as you would normally have it off the pill. So if you have a 5 day period, your period usually will be about 3. This is not a hard-and-fast rule however (my periods last almost 10 days ... ON the pill!!).





If you're still bleeding/spotting when you start your next pack of active pills, your period will usually stop within the first day or two however, IF you go that long.How does the period last on birth control?
It generally takes a few days before you get your withdrawl bleeding on the non-active pills because it takes that much time for your body to react to the decrease in progesterone level. For example, I start my pill packs on Tuesdays, but my withdrawl bleeding always starts on Thursday. For me, it is a very light 4 day period. Like clockwork, Thursday to Sunday every time.
I'm on my fourth week now, and got my period on Wednesday, which would be the fourth day in the fourth week.
A week or less. 4 for me instead of a heavy 8.
In my experience, the period does not start on the first placebo pill because of my body's cycle on the pill.





My periods start on the third placebo pill in my pack (which is 28 days in my ';cycle';) and lasts 6 days; ending on the second hormone pill of the next pack.





I start my packs on a Friday and get my periods on a Sunday.
i have many friends who take birth control for irregular periods, and most seem to say it lasts about 3 days
In my experience, the period will start about 2-3 days after your last pill and will last about 3-5 days.





For example:


I start my packs on Fridays (pills taken late at night)


Last pill of the pack is on a Thursday


Period starts Monday morning at the earliest


Period lasts until about Thursday





(Note this is why I start my pills on Friday instead of Sunday - this way I never have my period on a weekend!)
  • pink hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment