Friday, February 12, 2010

How long does it take a birth control pill to start working?

I was just curious cause I started my first monthly pill last night, and today I had sex w/ my fiance. I just want to know if I'm covered! ;) Oh yeah, and how long should a woman wait before using a pregnancy test to make sure that she's not pregnant? I'm only curious, so I can use this info for future reference.. Can anybody answer plz?How long does it take a birth control pill to start working?
Birth control pills do not start fully working until after you have finished the first month.


Until than you should be using condoms and practicing safe sex because your still capable of faling pregnant.


In order for a pregnancy test to be accurate you would have to wait and see if your period comes and if not take a pregnancy test. Usualy 2 to 3 weeks after having sex.


Good luck!How long does it take a birth control pill to start working?
That wasnt smart to have unprotected sex when you have only had 1 dose of the pill? It takes longer than that to take effect. You should have known this. Your doctor should have told you this and you should have asked. You need to use extra protection for at least a month on the pill. Also, if you get sick and need antibiotics you have to use secondary protection because some antibiotics mess with the effectiveness of birth control pills.
You should use back up method for at least one week- two weeks. If you get a good pregnancy test (Digital are best) you can test up to 5days before your missed cycle. If you don't think your pregnant I would just wait until you missed you cycle, and if your stressed give it a week after. Stress can cause your cycles to be late.
I was told to use another form of protection for 7 days. He said the pill needed to be given 7 full days to begin working.....and if I ever missed a pill I would have to use another form of protecton for another 7 days......That does seem like a short amount of time see some of the other answers on here. I would probably wait a month!
Your doctor really should have talked to you about this...





You need to wait until you've used the WHOLE first months pack before you are covered. You are not covered for pregnancy. I would stop taking the pills in case you did get pregnant. The pill can cause defects in the embryo. Usually a woman will get an accurate result 14 days after sex but it can take 21 days.
If it's your first pack ever you should use other protection just in case, and definitely have other protection for the 1st seven days. You need time for your body to get used to the hormones. And the best time for a pregnancy test is when you miss a period. SOmetimes a few days earlier.
majority of birth control pills require full 3 months for them to actually take the affect of a birth control. but then again, there r different kinds of pill out there nowadays and different levels of hormones, so u should ask ur doctor bout the ones u're taking. but the average is 3 months for it to work at its' full affect.
Birth Control can take a week to a month to kick in, it is NEVER 100% sure. I know women who got pregnant on the pill %26amp; a condom. It's just never for sure. You can also wait to take a test 2-4 weeks after you concieve. It took me a month! Good Luck! =)
normally you have to wait a week for it to be affective and after the first day of your missed cycle you can tell with a pregnancy test
I was told 3-4 weeks to work completely! :)





O and to test you wait until your next period is due and you can buy 5 day sooner test but I don't trust haha I didn't get a positive till I was 3 days late.


Good luck
ur suppose to use a condom for 30 days after starting ur birth control and unually wait 3-4 weeks to take a pregnancy test
most pills-a month. with YAZ if you take it sunday after your period, it takes affect in 7 days.
they say use back up for 30 days
  • pink hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment