Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What is the deal with the birth control mirena?

I go for my 6 week postpartum in 3 weeks. That's when you can choose a birth control. I don't want to do anything that will harm me. If anybody is using mirena or knows some1 who is tell all you know about it. By the way i'm 18 and just had my First baby. Thanks alot.What is the deal with the birth control mirena?
Mirena is a IUD, an intra-uterine device. It is made of flexible plastic and it contains the hormone progesterone. It releases this hormone in very small doses over a period of 5 years. Your body naturally produces this hormone in between ovulations, so your uterus doesn't start getting ready (lining itself) for a baby. In the long-term, you will probably not be menstruated anymore with Mirena. You might get irritating spotting for a while though!





Because it is released in very small amounts, side-effects are not so bad. For this reason also, when you have it removed you can become pregnant in a matter of days. Insertion can be somewhat painful, but probably not so bad for you because you just had a baby, so your cervix is still stretchy. It does not transfer into your milk if you are breast-feeding, so no worries there. You can't forget to take it, and it doesn't affect sex at all. It DOES cost $$$ when you buy it, but it's good for 5 years, so in the end it's less than the pill...





I had a Mirena for 3 1/2 years. I had it removed, didn't even have a period before I got preggo. Now my girl is 5 months and I've had a new Mirena installed when she was 8 weeks. Personnally its been great and I just love being period free, without ever worrying about taking pills every day !!!!





Note; it does not protect against AIDS-STDs, you would still need a condom for that !

No comments:

Post a Comment